The Maine Department of Parks and Lands hired John and Al to restore the semi-circular fort built in 1862. Located near the first English colonial settlement, the for is names for George Popham, founder of the Popham Colony. Together we saw the first phase of restoration work at this pre-Civil War era for owned by the State of Maine. The project included making the second floor accessible to the public; masonry stabilization and restoration and a new steel guardrail system and entry gates. The Fort, constructed of granite quarried from nearby Fox and Dix Islands, was deteriorating from 150 years of exposure to the Maine coastal environment.